Gum Disease Treatments at Tyrone Family Dentistry
One of the most common and destructive oral health problems is gum disease. Tyrone Family Dentistry focuses on preventive care, helping our patients avoid this problem. However, if gum disease occurs, we offer gentle, nonsurgical treatments to eliminate infection and restore periodontal health.
The progression of gum disease
Good hygiene and regular dental care are keys to preventing gum disease.
It begins with plaque and tartar along the gum line. Gradually, harmful bacteria infect gum tissue, causing it to become inflamed. When this happens, gums separate from teeth, creating pockets that accumulate more bacteria-laden plaque and tartar. The longer it goes without treatment, the further infection spreads. Untreated, it will eventually damage the bone and periodontal ligaments, causing teeth to loosen and fall out.
Gingivitis (early gum disease) is painless, with few symptoms. As it progresses to periodontitis (advanced gum disease), the problem becomes more noticeable. Symptoms include:
- Bleeding gums when you brush
- Puffy or discolored gum tissue
- Chronic bad breath
- Frequent abscesses or mouth sores
- Receding gum line
- Loose or missing teeth
The sooner gum disease is detected, the more conservatively it can be treated.
- Patient education about home hygiene, effective brushing techniques, and healthy habits is essential for successful treatment and lasting results.
- Scaling and root planing involves removing infection, cleaning tartar from the tooth root surfaces, and polishing the roots to help discourage future buildup. It is performed with local anesthetic for your comfort.
- Arestin is a topical treatment containing antibiotic microspheres to discourage reinfection and help gums heal.
- Extremely severe periodontitis may require surgical treatment, in which case we will refer you to a trusted periodontist for specialized care.
If you have signs of gum disease don’t wait until it gets worse! Call 678-245-4757 today and schedule your appointment at Tyrone Family Dentistry.